Warm Drinks for Cool Evenings
The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting cooler. Warm up with one of these delicious drinks, perfect for sipping while stargazing on the deck or serving to friends by the fire pit.
The Ultimate Pumpkin Spice
(Makes 4 servings)
– 1 qt. (4 C) Strong, freshly-brewed coffee
– 1/2 C Pumpkin puree
– 2 C Milk of your choice
– 2 T Brown sugar
– 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp. Ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
– In a sauce pan, combine pie filling, milk, and spices.
– Stir over medium heat, until well combined and mixture begins to steam (do not allow it to boil).
– Fill cups halfway with coffee, then fill the rest of the way with mixture.
– Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
– Refrigerate any extra pumpkin pie mixture in an airtight container for up to a week.
Just a Latte, Honey
– 2 T local honey (more or less, depending on your taste)
– 2 Shots espresso
– 6 oz. Steamed milk of your choice
– A pinch of ground or grated nutmeg
– Place honey in the bottom of your cup using a large spoon, leaving the spoon in the cup.
– Pour hot espresso over the honey-covered spoon, stirring until dissolved.
– Add steamed milk.
– Garnish with nutmeg (cinnamon is also tasty)
Green Tea Latte
(Makes 2 servings)
– 1 C Jasmine green tea, brewed very strong. (I used two bags and let it steep for 10 minutes)
– 1 C Milk of your choice
– 1 T honey or agave syrup (white sugar is also fine)
– 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
– Pour all ingredients in sauce pan.
– Whisk over medium heat until hot and frothy (do not allow it to boil).
Mexican Hot Cocoa
– 1 C prepared hot chocolate (mix recipe)
– 1/4 tsp. Ground cinnamon
– Dash cayenne pepper
– Combine all ingredients in sauce pan.
– Stir over medium heat until frothy.
– Top with homemade whipped cream. Find a recipe here.