Dining In and Out: Fiero Pizza
One young foodie explores the local restaurant scene, bringing quality cuisine into your kitchen, sans doggie bag.
By Kaylyn Deiter
Downtown’s Fiero Pizza is a pizza lover’s paradise. With virtually unlimited topping, sauce, and crust options, Fiero takes the “do it yourself” motto of chains like Subway and Qdoba to a whole new level.
Fiero itself is Italian for “proud,” and proud this pizza joint undoubtedly is. Situated in the middle of bustling Phillips Avenue (with a new location now open on 41st Street), the restaurant’s interior is homey without being over the top. Dark brick lines the walls, while cozy booths accommodate customers. But without a doubt Fiero’s centerpiece is the long counter where all the culinary magic happens.
“Fiero is one of my go-to spots for casual dining downtown,” patron Andrea Conover said. “It’s awesome to have that fast-casual option, but still be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of downtown.”
Once in front of the counter, customers have the choice of either trying one of Fiero’s 11 suggested pizza combos or crafting a creation entirely their own. The Spartan pizza has become my go-to Fiero favorite, but there’s nothing like choosing everything from dough to finishings to instill a sense of pride in your custom creation.
“The flavors are rich, the crust is the perfect combination of soft and crispy and there are endless options when it comes to sauce and toppings,” Conover said. “Plus you can always rely on the employees to be friendly and excited for you to experience their pizza. There’s a real sense of pride in their product.”
Although it’s only been open for two years, Fiero has quickly become a Sioux Falls staple. With it’s fresh, local ingredients, reasonable prices and commitment to Italian tradition, this pizza joint is not just stop to get a quick pizza fix, it’s a restaurant local foodies can take pride in, one slice at a time.
Three reasons to eat at Fiero Pizza:
- The ingenious combination of make-your-own and suggested pizza options
- Plethora of topping choices
- Pride in fresh, local ingredients
Want to test out your Fiero Pizza crafting skills right at home? Do you long be the one rolling and flipping the dough like the pizza master you know you are? Check out this tried and true recipe from Williams-Sonoma’s The Kid’s Cookbook for that homemade flavor right in your kitchen (no culinary acrobatics required).
- 3 cups flour
- 1 package quick-rise yeast
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp and 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 package mozzarella cheese per pizza
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Any other desired toppings (pepperoni, tomato, mushrooms, olives, garlic, etc.)
- Combine 2 ½ cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl
- Add water and 2 T olive oil to the mixture
- Knead dough for about 10 minutes
- Wipe out mixing bowl and grease lightly with 1 tsp olive oil
- Put dough into the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap
- Set dough out for about 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line two baking sheets with aluminium foil
- Roll out dough into two pizzas
- Drizzle with 1 T olive oil each
- Spread on pizza sauce
- Top with desired toppings and cheese
- Bake each pizza one at a time for 20 minutes
This recipe makes two square pizzas, which I find usually feeds about five hungry college students. Guarantee you’ll never go back to delivery pizza again once you’ve tasted this delicious homemade recipe.
Three reasons to enjoy Fiero at home:
- You get the chance to put together the pizza
- Be creative with ingredients
- Your kitchen smells like a pizza parlor
Whether you’re dining in or dining out, Fiero Pizza is the place to beat. Hang out at Sioux Falls’ premier pizza joint and indulge in a combination of your choosing, or get cooking at home—spreading your own dough and choosing toppings for your latest tasty masterpiece.