Dining In and Out: Oh My Cupcakes
One young foodie explores the local restaurant scene, bringing quality cuisine into your kitchen, sans doggie bag.
By Kaylyn Deiter
As the first all-cupcake shop in South Dakota, Oh My Cupcakes is no stranger to standing out. But really, that’s what this bakery/gourmet sweet shop destination is all about: standing out in the crowd, frosting and all.
Started out of her home seven years ago, owner Melissa Johnson never imagined her culinary dream would turn into something so sweet. Oh My Cupcakes now has a staff of 25 “cupcake ninjas,” working to create new flavors for customers that keep coming back for a taste of the delicious.
“We’re experimenting all the time,” cupcake ninja Randi Johnson said. “We use the finest and freshest ingredients from our vanilla beans to our eggs. We try to buy local whenever we can.”
Johnson said many of the shop’s unique cupcake recipes are bred out of simple curiosity.
“My mom [Melissa Johnson] had a dream about a cupcake one time and just wondered what would happen if we tried to make it,” Johnson said. “Another time one of our staff members was making stuffed french toast with her family and decided we should turn it into a cupcake. Now we have stuffed french toast cupcakes.”
That creative drive translates to other areas of the business as well. Oh My Cupcake’s interior is a study in minimalism with pops of color interspersed throughout. The same can be said of the cupcakes themselves—though the boxes the treats come in are stark, the cupcakes inside provide the requisite amount of sparkle, perfect for brightening any day.
“We’re just a cupcake shop in South Dakota, but we want to provide a quality, unique experience that you can’t get anywhere else,” Johnson said. “Our mission is to shine God’s love and make people smile through cupcakes, and that’s what we’re always working toward.”
If a lineup boasting anything from chocolate peanut butter attack to raspberry lemonade cupcakes can’t make you smile, I don’t know what can.
Three reasons to eat at Oh My Cupcakes:
- Seasonal favorites that rotate each month
- Party atmosphere
- Enjoying your cupcake(s) in the presence of other cupcake lovers
It’s time to test out your cupcake ninja skills in your own kitchen. Whip out the spatula, turn on the mixer and let’s get baking with these Oreo cupcakes courtesy of the Melrose Family blog. I promise you’ll earn your cupcake black belt in no time. Hiya!
- Cupcake batter
- 1 box triple chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large box of unprepared chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 chopped Oreos
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 8 oz. container of cool whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cake mix, oil, unprepared pudding, sour cream, eggs and water. Add in chocolate chips and Oreos.
- Bake in cupcake liners for about 18 minutes.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar while continuing to mix the cream cheese mixture.
- On low speed, add in cool whip.
- You may need to allow frosting to set in the refrigerator while cupcakes continue to cool. Make sure cupcakes are all the way cool before adding frosting.
- Put frosting in a pastry bag.
- Stick the point of the pastry bag into the cupcake and squeeze a little frosting into the center. You will see the cupcake puff up.
- Frost the cupcakes like normal and sprinkle with crushed Oreo.
- If you’d like, stick an extra Oreo on top of the cupcake for a little extra flair.
For a person who’s not an avid cupcake-lover, these cupcakes were pretty dang delicious. Thanks to the cake batter, chocolate pudding, chocolate chips and Oreos, they were also pretty chocolatey, which suited my sweet tooth perfectly. Pair with an ice cold glass of milk and you’re in for a memorable after dinner delicacy.
Three reasons to enjoy Oh My Cupcakes at home:
- You get more than one cupcake
- Be your own cupcake ninja
- You get more than one cupcake (I mean, seriously)
Cupcakes make the perfect treat whether dining in or out. Stop by Oh My Cupcakes for their endless selection and celebratory atmosphere, or choose to earn that cupcake ninja black belt at home with the help of our Oreo cupcake recipe. Either way you’ll be indulging in something delicious.