Image by Laura Kate Photography.
I have been online dating for well over a year now, and I have learned a lot of do’s and don’t's, and especially what makes me hit delete without hesitation.
This is one of my main pet peeves: Pictures! If you don’t have a picture on your profile you are either married or ugly! If you want me to talk to you, you better have a picture of you on your profile, otherwise…DELETE BUTTON! Here are few guidelines I use when checking out a profile:
- At least three pictures are required: One head shot, one full-body, and another fun one. Please show your smile in at least one of them, and I want to see your face close up.
- Put in-focus pictures up. Pictures from cell phones are often small or pixilated. So, unless you have a smart phone with a great camera, use other pics or ask a friend to take a few.
- Don’t put up pics with you and other friends, family, kids, etc. I want to see you. I don’t want to be confused if that is your cousin or brother or friend. At worse, they could be better looking than you.
- The shirtless pics are ridiculous! They make you look “into yourself,” or that you are only on this site for sex. Leave a little to the imagination and put a shirt on, please!
- Putting random pics up like a pic of your house, dog, motorcycle or car is a waste of time. If anything, put you on a motorcycle next to your dog, or by your house or next to your car.
- Put up pics that are up to date. I once had a guy put up a pic of him that was literally seven years old so he would appear younger. They should be taken in the last 3-6 months at the latest.
- Make sure the person in the pic is you in the pic. I sometimes feel that people have lost all common sense. I had a guy message me who was cute, but it turns out he used a picture of his friend instead of him. We talked for awhile and then starting texting. I found out later when he texted me a picture of him he wasn’t cute and told me some lame story why he used his friend's picture. DELETE!
Good luck, daters!
For the latest updates on Mel, visit Hot 104.7!