“We started Side Hustle Moto to combine our love for all things motorcycle and high quality goods and design,” said Shawna Prugh, co-owner of Side Hustle Moto and Prugh Design.
Shawna and her husband Michael opened the shop in Rapid City for the first time in December of 2019. Due to the pandemic, they had to close their doors again after only a few months.
The Black Hills motorcycle store reopened again in June 2020.
“It’s a passion project for both of us, and it’s not just for motorcycle enthusiasts,” said Shawna. “We have something for everyone.”
The Prughs sell many of their own products in their storefront. Items their brands carry include everything from apparel and stickers to coffee and mugs.
“Good design comes in all shapes and sizes,” said Shawna.
Side Hustle Moto also carries various products like Gringo helmets, Howard Soap Co. candles and creams, and scratch-made snacks from Fireside S’mores.
“Everything that is on the website has been hand picked by us or custom made with us.” –Shawna Prugh
Shawna and Michael share how they spend their time outside of the shop.
LIFE’S A HIGHWAY
We both are often riding anywhere in the Hills on any kind of motorcycle.
CATCH A WAVE
Spending as many days as possible on the water at Pactola Reservoir with family and friends is a must for us.
We currently do full moon yoga in the shop once a month and are working on doing other events throughout the spring and summer.
We try out different Bloody Marys at restaurants throughout the Hills before we run our Sunday errands. It helps set the mood for the grocery store!
Going to the Alpine Inn for some German potato salad in Hill City makes my summers complete.
5 Random Facts
1. We are obsessed with traveling and experiencing new things and cultures. Our five-year plan is to own a house in Norway.
2. If we had endless funds, we would have a huge ranch for all the homeless animals out there, so they could be loved and run free. But we only have a cat named Bergen at the moment.
3. Most people don’t know that Michael has a minor degree in furniture design, and Shawna went to school for kinesiology.
4. Michael is a fabrication and welding instructor at Western Dakota Tech. He really enjoys teaching a trade to the younger generation.
5. Shawna has a slight addiction to candles and Vicks VapoRub.
At food truck Tuesdays at Canyon Lake Park in the summers, I always enjoy the different cuisine that comes out of a vehicle.
We try to hike as much as we can in the summer, but that’s our busy time so we squeeze it in when we can.
BLACK HILLS BITES
Anytime I can go out and get a good burger in the hills, I am a happy guy. Sugar Shack and Lewie’s Burgers & Brews are pretty high on the list.
We thankfully enjoy spending as much time together as possible, so our favorite things are the same—except for maybe Hallmark Christmas movies and football. That’s where we differ. Guess amongst yourselves who is who.